PJs With A Purpose is a fun, educational, Finnspirational event that provides school kids an opportunity to help kids in treatment.
PJs with a Purpose:
- Is Fun, because kids love wearing their pajamas.
- Is Educational, because it is an effective way to educate kids about the amount of time that children with cancer must spend in their pajamas while receiving treatment.
- Is Finnspirational because it inspires kids to smile and celebrate life while helping other kids.
To participate, students and staff wear pajamas to school and make a minimum donation of $1 to the Team Finn Foundation.
Putting Smiles on the faces of kids in treatment
Since 2013, over 30 schools have participated in PJs with a Purpose events raising over $25,000 to help kids with cancer. 100% of the funds raised are directed to the Finnspiration Smiles Fund to change the way kids in BC experience cancer treatment.
Funds raised in 2013 were used to transform radiation treatment given to kids by:
- Giving kids in treatment ipads to distract them while undergoing radiation
- Painting murals on the walls of the recovery room for kids at the BC Cancer Agency
- Painting scary radiation masks to look like cool superhero masks
- Introducing other new concepts to help doctors and nurses comfort and distract young cancer patients
We used some of the money that schools raised in 2013-2014 to help transform a rather tired looking tub room used by oncology (and other) patients at BC Children’s Hospital into a warm and welcoming place of comfort and relaxation.
In 2014 we met with doctors and researchers to discuss how money raised from PJs with a Purpose events can be used to create, develop and purchase virtual reality technology that will calm and distract children going through particularly difficult cancer treatments. A pilot project was launched in 2015 and the money raised by schools in 2015, 2016 and 2017 has been (and will be) earmarked to implement the virtual reality program.
Champion PJs With A Purpose at Your School
Help us to grow this event and the funds to help kids with cancer. We would like to double the number of schools participating. We want to double the amount of funds raised. More participation means more Smiles and more Change.
If you would like to champion a PJs With A Purpose event to your school please contact us to receive a PJ with a Purpose Information Sheet and a poster to bring to your school principal or PAC or to let us know when your school will be participating. We are happy to come to your school to present to your staff and students about this fun yet important event to raise awareness of childhood cancer and to raise funds to help kids with cancer in BC.
Although PJs With A Purpose is generally promoted to take place in February (in conjunction with World Cancer Day on February 4), we appreciate that each school has its own calendar of events to coordinate and are happy to assist promoting this event at any time.
Feel free to contact us by phone at 604-984-2065 or by email for further information.